Rosanne Sternberg’s Smart Spook first demonstrated his winning ways in 2004 taking the championship at a small futurity in Jackson, Ohio. In a field of nine, now NRHA Four Million Dollar Rider Shawn Flarida showed the stallion and launched his internationally acclaimed show career. The son of NRHA Five Million Dollar Sire Smart Chic Olena later excelled at passing on his brilliance to his offspring. Now at the age of 11, Smart Spook joins his sire in the annals of NRHA History, unofficially becoming the sport’s 23rd Million Dollar Sire. His unofficial offspring earnings are now $1,082,300.
Smart Spook (owned and bred by NRHA Million Dollar Owner Rosanne Sternberg) is NRHA’s highest money earning stallion with $403,150 in lifetime earnings. Not only did Flarida ride the stallion to his first win, but he also piloted him to championships at the 2004 NRHA Open Futurity, 2005 NRHA Open Derby and 2005 American Quarter Horse Association World Championship Show in the Junior Reining. In 2007, now NRHA Million Dollar Rider Rudi Kronsteiner and Smart Spook claimed their first of three unprecedented FEI World Reining Masters sweeps, earning both the open and restricted divisions (2007, 2008 and 2009). The duo followed up the next year with a second-place finish at the inaugural NRHA Open World Championship Shootout. The gifted stallion is out of Sugarplum Spook, a daughter of NRHA Million Dollar Sire Grays Starlight.
Smart Spooks top-earning offspring include:
- Spook Off Sparks: Owned by Silver Spurs Equine, LLC, bred by Rosanne Sternberg, $136,360 NRHA LTE and reserve champion at the 2011 NRHA Open Futurity.
- Red Stripe Spook: Owned and bred by David Evans, $130,030 NRHA LTE and reserve champion at the 2010 NRHA Open Futurity.
- Custom Spook: Owned by Rancho Oso Rio LLC, bred by Steven Simon, $102,250 NRHA LTE, fourth place at the 2010 NRHA Open Futurity and champion at the 2011 High Roller Reining Classic Derby.
- Jacs Lil Spook: Owned by Joe and Karen Moran, bred by Newell Quarter Horses LLC, $87,028 NRHA LTE and level 1 and level 2 open champion at the 2011 National Reining Breeders Classic (NRBC).
- Spooks N Sparks: Owned by Veronica Deans, bred by Equine Plus, $74,890 NRHA LTE and level 4 and level 3 non pro champion at the 2011 NRHA Futurity.
- Dance Little Spook: Owned by Quarter Dream, bred by Wagman Ranch, Inc., $46,930 NRHA LTE and champion at the 2011 Italian Reining Horse Association Open Futurity.
During the 2012 NRBC, seven of the sire’s progeny helped earn the remaining dollars needed to land the accomplishment: Custom Spook (owned by Rancho Oso Rio LLC), Extra Smart Spook (owned by Wagman Ranch Inc), Its All About Smart (owned by Equine Plus), Little Snow Gun (owned by Equine Plus), Spooks N Sparks (owned by Veronica Deans), Sugarplum Muffin (owned by Sherry Wayne) and Spooks Eclipse (owned by Casey and Kathy Hinton).
Top of Page