Paint & Color Breeds
Paint Horse Journal wins coveted American Horse Publications General Excellence award; Paint Horse Connection and Paint Horse Racing also take top honors.
The American Paint Horse Association’s family of publications—Paint Horse Journal, Paint Horse Connection and Paint Horse Racing—received top industry honors June 2 at the American Horse Publication’s Annual Awards Contest, which took place at the 2012 AHP Seminar in Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia. The APHA editorial, design and marketing teams earned 12 awards, which included five first-place plaques.
The Paint Horse Journal rose to the top of its publication class, winning the coveted General Excellence, Association Publication Circulation Under 15,000 award. The Journal last won this prestigious title for its work in 2004.
The General Excellence category judges recognized the Journal’s “good balance of show and non-show coverage should appeal to many interests. There is excellent World Show coverage, especially the lead-in feature and the feature photos. Great Rides is a wonderful idea. Both back-page photos were clever.”
APHA’s member magazine, Paint Horse Connection, earned its inaugural first-place award, along with a pair of second-place titles. The association’s racing-dedicated publication, Paint Horse Racing, took home its first titles as well, receiving recognition for its advertising and editorial designs.
“The APHA publications family has long been known for its outstanding content designed specifically for Paint Horse enthusiasts,” APHA Executive Director Billy Smith said. “We are pleased to receive industry recognition for the hard work our staff puts into creating each issue of the Paint Horse Journal, Paint Horse Connection and Paint Horse Racing magazines.”
Following is a complete list of the association’s winning material:
- General Excellence, Association Magazine Circulation Under 15,000—Paint Horse Journal
- Instructional Single Article Circulation 20,000 and Under—“Code Breaker,” November 2011 Paint Horse Journal, written and photographed by Jessica Hein
- Horse Care Single Article Circulation Under 20,000—“Say What?” October 2011 Paint Horse Journal, written by Jessica Hein
- Corporate/Individual Single Advertisement—“Every Barn Needs a Little Paint,” April 2011, designed by Art Vasquez and Cristin Conner
- One-Page or Two-Page Spread Editorial Design—“Brought to Life,” Summer 2011 Paint Horse Connection, designed by Susan Sampson
- Instructional Series—“Safety Zone,” Spring through Winter 2011 Paint Horse Connection, written and photographed by Jessica Hein
- Editorial Staff Print Photography—“Buster and Sheryl Bob” from “Old Faithful,” Winter 2011 Paint Horse Connection, photographed by Jessica Hein
- Publication Staff Single Advertisement—“Shawne Wind,” March–April 2011 Paint Horse Racing, photographed by Jessica Hein and designed by Stephanie Bury
- Corporate/Individual Single Advertisement—“Blending In is Not an Option,” June 2011, designed by Kelly Wise and Cristin Conner
- Personal Single Column Circulation Under 20,000—“Editor’s Note,” June 2011 Paint Horse Journal, written by Tonya Ratliff-Garrison
- Publication Cover Page Circulation 10,000–20,000—“Spring Fever,” March 2011 Paint Horse Journal, photographed by Abigail Wilder Boatwright and designed by Art Vasquez
- Editorial Design Circulation 20,000 & Under—“Paint Champions of 2010,” March–April 2011 Paint Horse Racing, designed by Kelly Wise
Top of Page