Fuel economy concerns are coming up a lot lately. What can I do to improve it? Which manufacturer has the best numbers? How can I improve the vehicle I have to better fuel economy? Here are some basic answers to help you get the best mpg numbers out of your diesel pickup.
1. Use the correct oil grade for your truck. Running a base non synthetic oil in your pickup that requires synthetic oil may cause you to lose fuel economy. If your truck is older, consider starting to use synthetic oil.
2. Change your fuel filters often. Strictly Diesel recommends changing your fuel filters every 15 thousand miles for best longevity of your fuel system components.
3. Use a fuel additive - for older vehicles this is a must. Any diesel pick up NOT designed to run ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel will benefit from the increase in lubricity of the additive you are using. New vehicles with the high pressure common rail fuel systems will also benefit from the added lubricity.
4. Keep your tire pressure at manufacturers recommended setting at a minimum. Keeping the tires inflated properly gives you longer life of the tires and makes it easier for your truck to move across the highway.
5. Make sure your tires are balanced and rotated properly - make sure your front end is aligned and true to the rear tires of the vehicle.
6. Have your cooling system checked. Making sure your thermostat operates at the proper operating temperature will ensure your diesel engine runs properly.
7. Check, clean, and or replace your engine air filter. Without the proper amount of air your engine may suffer in performance causing added fuel consumption.
8. Last, but not least, and maybe way to obvious is, slow down. The difference in 75 mph to 80 mph on the freeway, believe it or not can be very significant. Take your time, smell the roses, pushing your truck through the hot Arizona sun takes effort. Less speed = less effort to make your truck go down the road.
Although all of the above are small, making sure all of these items are in good order, could make a significant improvement in your fuel economy. Of course results may vary. Which brand of pickup has an advantage over the other is hard to say, in my mind there all pretty equal. Contact Strictly Diesel if you have concerns about the fuel economy with your diesel pickup. We will give you honest answers and help direct you in the best direction possible. 623-582-4404 Strictlydiesel.com